Thursday, February 23, 2012

I Gave Up Facebook for Lent

:)

And it feels great!

I logged in to grab someone's email address and lingered long enough to see I had some questions from friends about how/why an agnostic would celebrate Lent. Great question! Gave me a little time to reflect. I guess my answer is the same reason we celebrate Christmas in our family :) Cultural and personal tradition.

I did a really quick little research (read: looked at wikipedia) about both lent and agnosticism. I didn't learn anything new, but I do like to be "educated" before I talk about something, no matter how confident I feel about it. So what I confirmed is that people observe Lent for a variety of reasons, including refocusing on what's important in the observer's life. I don't mind borrowing from my personal heritage, especially when it comes to being a more in-tune and, dare I say, spiritual person. If it's offensive to any of my friends that I am using something from their religion to refocus my personal life, I am truly, truly sorry. Offense is the last thing I mean by it. If it's easier/less offensive for you, I would be happy to say "I have given up Facebook for a little over a month because I need to refocus my energy on my personal journey and family life." Which is honestly what it's about, saying "Lent" was just easier since people are familiar with the term and it is occurring concurrent to my abstinence from fb. And because it is where my roots lie regardless of where my path has taken me today.

Anyway!

I'm really loving it. Finally checking things off my "to do" list, my mind is feeling clearer, I'm re-energized, and I keep having all these neat ideas that I think I might actually have time for now.

Here is one fb status I would have made 2 night ago if I was still online though: Papa and Bee felt the new baby move for the first time!! :)

And on that note, I'm back to that "to do" list :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to miss you on fb!!! How exciting that they felt the baby move! Enjoy your time off :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOW exciting they felt the baby move~! what did bria say?! i do miss you thou =)

    ReplyDelete